Friday, August 21, 2015

My Super-Comforting Turkey Meatloaf Recipe

This recipe is a super-favorite in our house! I created it because we wanted something comforting, homey, and that reminds us of mom's cooking, but on the lighter, healthier side. My husband practically races home when he hears we're having this for dinner. I like to serve it with garlic mashed potatoes (try Bob Evans brand for a pre-made, refrigerated version that cuts down on time in the kitchen) and French-cut green beans. Leftovers are just as delightful as fresh out of the oven. Bon appetit!



Meatloaf
1.5 lbs fresh ground turkey (I like 1 pound lean, 0.5 lb extra lean)
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk (I use reduced fat and prefer it)
2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 medium yellow or Sweet Vidalia onion (or 1 whole small onion), finely chopped
2 tbsp dried parsley
little bit of salt (no more than a teaspoon)
little bit of black pepper
a good healthy dose of dried sage (1 tsp at least - I like more)

Glaze (mixed in a small bowl)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tspn dry mustard

1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. Combine milk and eggs in a bowl, then add breadcrumbs, parsley, onion, salt, sage, and a little ground pepper, mixing. Add meat and mix again.
3. Pat mixture into a loaf pan (I use a Pyrex pan).
4. Bake for 80 minutes, then brush with the glaze and bake for 10 minutes more.
5. Rest 10 minutes, then serve. Or just serve right away and burn your mouth, which is what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!