Friday, January 3, 2014

Urban Decay Naked3 Palette and a Reasonable Recant


I admit it. I was wrong.

I said I wasn't going to buy the Naked3 palette. "It's too redundant," I said. "I don't need it," I sighed. "Too pricey and ridiculous!" I wailed.

Then I got a VIB credit to Sephora and caved. Here are my [honest] thoughts. Bear with me while I try to be as thorough as I can. There are a million reviews of this palette online right now, so I'll mostly stick to the basics and pictures (including swatches).


Unlike the first two Naked Palettes, I wasn't really excited when I first opened this palette. I still didn't get why everyone was peeing their pants in excitement over a bunch of rose-toned neutral shades. I swatched them and still didn't get excited. It wasn't until I started playing around with eye looks that it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I'm in love!

Naked1, Naked2, Naked3 (top to bottom) for comparison

The packaging for Naked3 is nearly identical to Naked2 in the metal tin. The color of the case, like the shadows, is rose-toned and includes a large mirror, dual-ended Urban Decay shadow brush, and 12 shadows. Unlike Naked2, these 12 colors are completely unique to this palette (so no repeats!) and the front of the case is wavy/ruffly with slightly different lettering. As you can see, the Naked1 is warmer toned neutrals, Naked2 is cooler toned, and then Naked3 is rosy. All have at least one very light highlight shade and at least one darker shade. There are mattes, shimmers, and glitters in each.

Now for up-close pics of the colors!

Strange, Dust, Burnout, Limit, Bust, and Trick 

Trick, Nooner, Liar, Factory, Mugshot, Darkside (Blackheart not shown - so sorry!)

And here are swatches and my observations on these colors:

Strange, Dust, and Burnout 

  • Strange is the highlight color in this palette. Pretty, but relatively standard. I like that it's not yellow-toned. Nice and brightening.
  • Dust is a shimmery metallic rose shade. I'm not sure if this is meant to be glittery, but my palette's Dust is chunky and messy. The fallout isn't terribly bad, but I was a bit disappointed with this shade due to its crumbly nature.
  • Burnout didn't impress me when I first opened the palette, but as soon as I put it on my lid, I looooved it! Very pretty metallic rose. Not crumbly, not chalky, very pretty. LOVE this as a lid color, and it makes blue eyes pop.

 Limit, Bust, and Trick

  • Limit is a matte nude shade with a rose tone to it. It makes a nice crease blending color. Pretty boring on its own, but I think it's good to have some crease color options in this palette to work with the other shades.
  • Bust is a darker shade similar to Dust, with chunkiness falling all over the place. I haven't loved this one either, especially because it seems messy. I think there's a little bit too much red in this shade for me to fully enjoy it. Bust is a bust for me.
  • Trick is another gold shade (sort of in the vein of Half-Baked) but it is a more rose-toned gold shade. It's super pretty and actually a bit on the subtle side. I haven't messed with it much, but want to play around a bit more with it because it is very pretty and is likely good with blue eyes.

 Nooner, Liar, and Factory

  • Nooner (haha, that name!) is another matte shade that is fun in the crease. I've actually been using this as a crease color a bit more than Limit. To me, this leans taupe but I see the pink in it. I keep thinking "mauve". I don't know. Anyway, it's smooth and soft, but Limit is softer.
  • Liar is actually just a step down from Nooner (a little darker) with a metallic sheen. It's really pretty as well, and I know I've used it a couple times in the outer corner, but I haven't played around with it as much as I could have. I'm noting to myself that I need to play with it a bit more.
  • Factory isn't very pretty in the pan (in my opinion), but it looks nice on the skin. It is not matte, but isn't really shimmery either… I like using this in the outer half or third of the lid. It works well with Burnout.

Mugshot, Darkside, and Blackheart
  • Mugshot is a really pretty metallic taupe that I like because it's a bit cooler in tone. I also like this with Burnout for a metallic but not over-the-top look.
  • Darkside is the first of two dark shades. It's almost a charcoal gray in the pan, but as you can see, it comes off pretty dark on my skin. It's very pretty and I've used it as a bit of a defining shade with various eye looks, but I have not used it beyond that.
  • Blackheart is the second dark shade, and this is really unique… I've never seen anything like it. It's black with these red (?) glittery flecks in it. It's so pretty - pictures don't do it justice. It's so pretty and so dark, and I'm petrified to use it. I like more natural looks, so this probably won't be a shadow that gets shown a lot of love from me. But you can see, it is quite beautiful.
So that's it… that's the Naked3 palette! If you made it through this post without being bored to tears, take a moment to leave me a comment, or share this on Google+ or Twitter. And as always, please follow here or via BlogLovin' so you don't miss a post. If you're interested in seeing some looks I like to do using this palette, please let me know and I'll take some pictures and post them.

Cheers,
Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Im also desperately trying to avoid getting this but feel I will cave shortly...

    http://champagnelambinibudget.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're stronger than I am for holding out this long!

      Delete
  2. loving this palette! so glad i got it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!