Sunday, December 29, 2013

Splurge Pore Cleansing Face Masks - Origins vs. GlamGlow



Lately I've noticed that my pores need a little extra attention, probably due to wearing fuller coverage foundations more often. I decided to try out some face masks that specialize in removing the crud from pores and helping cleanse the skin without sucking out all moisture. If you follow me on Instagram (here), you may have seen that I got a sample of the Origins Clear Improvement active charcoal mask to try, and [spoiler] I liked it well enough to buy a full size.

I'd heard rave reviews about the GlamGlow Supermud mask, and had been eyeing it at Sephora for quite some time. So, when I had a 20% off coupon, I picked one up to try out. Although the effects were also good, I have to admit that the Origins mask wowed me more.

Read below for my thoughts on each and recommendations on where to spend your money! Note: I have dry skin that can be sensitive in that it's easily reddened, but I am generally not acne-prone. Keep that in mind when reading my thoughts as your mileage may vary.

GlamGlow Supermud Clearing Treatment

The GlamGlow Supermud mask is luxurious, and the price reflects that. It's $69 (USD) for 1.2 ounces! I just gulped typing that. Anyway, the things I do for research! This mask is cleansing, does not tingle quite as much as the other masks by the same brand, but does dry pretty tight. One fun aspect of this mask is that as the mud dries, it gets significantly lighter in color, and the spots around your dirty, greasy pores stay darker. You supposedly can see the gunk it's pulling out of your pores.


Besides the price, one other aspect of this mask that's tough to love is the pieces of… whatever that's inside. They're like tea leaves or something. Anyway, it is interesting when you apply it, but I found those pieces to be somewhat of a turnoff. In terms of packaging, the pot is very nice looking, but does require you to put your fingers in over and over, which can be troublesome when thinking about hygiene.

Bottom line: my face did feel smoother, softer, and cleaner. But it took work getting it off my face and I wanted to put a LOT of moisturizer on after all was said and done.

Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask

This mask, no surprise, was a winner in my book. Like GlamGlow, this mask is an active charcoal mask designed to clear that nasty gunk out of your pores. I first used this mask only across and around my nose where my pores are largest (other parts of my face do not seem to have trouble) and I was amazed by how well it worked! Like GlamGlow, you let this mask dry. But this one doesn't show you your nasty pore gunk as it dries. It easily comes off with warm water and a washcloth.


Origins isn't the cheapest brand out there, but at $16 (USD) for 1.7 ounces, this product is much more accessible and affordable for reasonable beauties! Packaging is also better - this comes in a plastic tube with a flip-cap so you can squeeze out product onto your fingers and then apply without risk of contamination.

I also found that this mask didn't dry my skin out as much. I did need moisturizer, but it wasn't as noticeable as with GlamGlow. However, I have not applied this all over my face - only my nose area.

If you are considering getting a mask that specializes in clearing your pores, I definitely recommend an active charcoal mask. It can clear your pores, help shrink the appearance of enlarged pores, tighten your skin a little bit, and return you back to your natural, glowing self. If you ask me, I recommend picking up the Origins mask and bypassing GlamGlow. The whole "seeing your pore gunk" shtick is pretty cool, but the price tag makes it more of a silly splurge instead of a worthwhile and functional component of your beauty regiment.

Bottom line: Yes to Origins. Pass on GlamGlow.

Have you tried these? Tell me about your experiences!

Cheers,
Kelly

1 comment:

  1. I've heard great things about this brand. i have dry skin and am curious to try some of their products

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and respond as much as possible! However, if you're only here to spam my blog with unrelated links, I will delete your comments. Thank you for understanding!